Saturday, December 17, 2011

Support For Those With Bulimia This Christmas


The holiday season can be a wonderful time of thanksgiving and fellowship with friends and family, but for those suffering with bulimia, the absolute abundance of food during the holiday season can be overbearing and difficult to cope with.  Since the holidays tend to revolve around food and feasting, this can be the most challenging time of the year for bulimia sufferers, particularly as overwhelming feelings of panic, anxiety, and fear may be invoked.  It is not uncommon that the pressure of holidays such as Christmas can instigate a worsening of behaviors for many with eating disorders.  With the support of loved ones, Christmas doesn’t have to be associated with deterring feelings or anxiety about food, but rather a day to commemorate love, family and friends.  If you or a loved one is struggling with bulimia, please continue reading here for tips and support during this holiday season.

Be encouraged that recovery is possible and can continue to be maintained, even during difficult time periods.  If you have been in recovery from bulimia, what advice can you share for those who are struggling during this holiday season?

2 comments:

  1. I have been recovering gradually over the past couple of years and have always loved Christmas, but it is an extremely challenging time for battling against the power of an eating disorder.

    My advice is: - as far as possible - try to be open with those around you about your feelings towards food. That is a hard thing to do, but if you can work out a way to carefully explain your thought processes to your family/friends, they will have a much better chance of understanding how to support you. For instance, one year I took a very deep breath, sat my mum down and told her this...

    "When everyone is expected to serve themselves Christmas dinner, the vast portions of food to choose from panics me. As does everyone else's eagerness to eat. I either desperately want to run into my room and lock the door or I put on a brave act, choosing and eating the same as everyone else (or more) until it's over and I can sneak off to purge."

    Naturally she was shocked and confused. but she kept listening and asked, "So how can I help stop you feeling like this?"

    At first I didn't know, but after talking some more, we decided I should always have some small job to do out of the kitchen while the rest of the family served themselves (like take the dog outside for 10 minutes, tidy up the christmas wrapping paper, light the fire in the living room or set out board games for after dinner). Then, when they were finished, I could calmly serve myself, free from comparing my own plate to theirs, and the volumes of food to be faced with would have diminished slightly.

    I won't lie and say the plan was foolproof, and I do still feel nervous but it DID HELP. And every year I think of another way that lets me cope a little better. It's hard to do baby steps when you just want to feel normal, but clinging onto the determination to try is what will keep you from sinking. Every tiny effort or change is a success that you should feel proud of. I hope this helps (even if only a little.)

    Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen, thank you so much for sharing a bit about your recovery journey and ways that you have been able to maintain your recovery. We continue to hope all the best for you in your life journey!

    ReplyDelete